Pages

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Summer Practicum (again), Teaching, and Graduation!

So, last I wrote in June, I was just starting Summer Practicum, right?

Let's review. I went on bed rest and maternity leave. That meant, my internship wasn't complete! After working it out, it was decided I would teach at Summer Practicum at Mt. Mahogany Elementary, where students who are about to start their Student Teaching/Internship get their first real teaching experience.

I got to work with Jannica again which was way fun! I enjoyed working with Jannica all year long, but this was especially fun, because it was more casual, so I think we had more fun together. I will definitely miss working with her! I also was in a classroom with 5 other teachers, all a year behind me. I loved them! They were smart ladies. While I have to admit, working with teachers a year behind me gave me a little confidence boost because I definitely knew more than them and could handle the kids better, they had a much better handle on teaching than I did last year! So they will make some great teachers this year.

I had three students I worked with. They were sometimes a challenge, but were so fun! There was some crying, running, and swearing (not by me, I promise!), but ultimately, we had so much fun! They were so sweet and said some of the "darndest" things, and so it was a really great experience. I also learned some really great skills that I know would help me if I was teaching this year.

So, I finished that on July 20th and I graduated this week! It was so awesome. My wonderful in laws came in town and I had a lot of family support me. My best friend, Natalie, also was graduating (crazy how we started together and ended together despite the unusual August graduation), so her family was there too. Thursday was Commencement at the Marriott Center. We all walked in as a massive big group and sat in the bleachers. David L. Beck spoke and great talk and overall, I loved it. He talked about a woman who started Starfish Foster Care. Look her up. I cried to hear her story. She was an amazing woman!










Friday morning was Convocation, just for the Mckay School of Education. I was given the honor of saying the opening prayer! I wasn't nervous, so I was grateful for that. It was great, and since it was August, there were very few people. It was about an hour and a half, probably at least a half hour less than usual, if not more. Afterwards, we went to Crackerbarrel, my family, my in laws, my grandparents, and Natalie and her family. It was great and I am so grateful to my family and friends who supported me!







I have to throw in here, Chris loves his grandparents, but especially Jed's dad. We were amazed. Through both ceremonies, Jed's dad took care of him, and through both ceremonies, he was perfect. At dinner one night, he was crying. I walked him around and he was fine. Jed's dad took him, and within a minute, he was asleep. They definitely have a kinship, and I think Chris will have a special connection with his grandpa.





It feels so awesome to be finished and moving on with my life. I had the best experience at BYU. I got to go with my best friend in the entire world, Natalie, and be her roommate for two years. We had so much fun together, not just as roommates but as classmates. I met my husband at BYU and got married. We lived in old Wymount together, in those lovely cinderblock walls with no A/C or dishwasher and having to walk to the laundromat, but living in a great community with beautiful huge old trees and awesome neighbors. I got a great education, learning valuable skills and knowledge that will help me as I work with students with special needs but also as a wife and mother. My professors were great. I had a stressful, but good internship. I had amazing coworkers, specifically some wonderful paraeducators who I could never have survived without, and a great mentor teacher who taught me so much, not only about special ed, but also about work ethic and about being a leader. What great things BYU has given me! And while I'm excited to be leaving after Jed graduates next April, I will certainly miss it. I will definitely miss the community and the great education I had at my fingertips.

Also, I am so grateful for my mother. How could I have made it through BYU without her? She paid for half my education, and much more. She's supported me. And most especially, the huge gift she gave us was to watch Chris while I worked and finished up school. She watched him every day in May and 2-3 times a week this summer. That's a lot of time! We definitely would not have known what to do without her! Thank you, Mom, so very much!



So, what next? Well Jed will continue working at the BYU Bookstore as Student Manager and taking classes 3/4 time. And me.... well all summer long I planned on being a paraeducator. I was so excited! I would work part time and Chris would be watched by my mom and some day care. I was not too excited about day care, but when you're students, you sometimes have to compromise what you want and what needs to happen. I also thought about subbing. We prayed and fasted, but never did anything stick out to us. I waited and searched and pursued a few jobs, but never did anything seem to work out as planned nor did we get a spiritual confirmation that one job was the right job.

I was about to go into a long story, but I will just say that through my fellow counselor in the Relief Society, I found a job babysitting! A woman in my ward is an elementary school teacher and needed someone to watch her two kids. I tried it out for a couple of days, and while it will be a challenge, it is definitely the right thing. Just one of the confirmations we had was how easily it worked out! And so now, I get to be at home with my beautiful boy, but still earn money for our family. And call me crazy, but I will be babysitting a 2 month old and a 2 1/2 year old.... yep. Plus my little 5 month old. So.... lots of babies! But they are cute little kids so I'm excited.

And that's life! Mine seems a little less complicated, but it's amazing that as one chapter closes and responsibilities leave, more come in and replace them! But it's been a fun August so far, and we are excited for the year to continue!

3 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you for graduating!!! And I am so happy that everything has fallen into place for you. I can't wait to see you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are an example to me! can't wait for april when i graduate! congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Heather! That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete