Pages

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Tracking the Baby Bump: Week 34

What a week it has been! Seriously, crazy. And despite the fact that I'm on bed rest, we never took a picture.... but I thought it was more important to update you on my health than how big my belly is getting.

So, on Friday at my doctor's appointment, we got some more information about what's going on.

First of all, I am on bedrest, but it is okay if I go out every once in a while. And by go out, that means I can go somewhere where I will be sitting. So, still no grocery shopping, cleaning, cooking, etc, but I can go to a hair appointment, to a restaurant, or to my mom's house. And I can go to church! Only one hour though. This is half his rule, half mine. This weekend I went to my brother's eagle scout project where I sat the whole time and sanitized books, but by the end I was pooped. Today, I barely lasted through church. Those church pews just aren't what you would call comfortable. So, already my body has adjusted to bed rest and can only handle an hour or two of activity. Kind of sad and pathetic, but I'm glad to know.

Next, he told me that as long as my blood pressure doesn't go any higher, I will probably make it to full term! I have mixed feelings about that. It means that the baby gets more growing time (yay!) but it also means instead of 3 weeks of bed rest, I have a potential of 6 weeks.... so perhaps I will get everything done on my to do list! Oh and he also said that after 34 weeks, steroids to help the baby's lungs grow don't really have much affect, so I won't have to take those.

Last, I will be going to the doctor at least 3 times a week. Every Monday we will do a non-stress test with the baby and measure the amniotic fluid. Every Thursday we will do a non-stress test. THEN starting at 36 weeks I will have my regular doctor's appointment every week. So, this week I don't have a doctor's appointment, but I do have to go in to get the supplies for another 24 hours urine sample. I will be doing these about every week as well. Whew! The receptionists already recognize me, but but the end of this pregnancy they will for sure all know my name.

So, obviously Monday was yesterday so I had my first NST and amniotic fluid test. They took me to a room with a SUPER comfy recliner. It was sweet. First they tested the amniotic fluid.  It was basically an ultrasound. She "divided" my belly into four quadrants and looked at how much fluid was there. Somehow she came up with a number, 9.6 (units? Ounces? I don't know), which is on the low end of normal, but still normal. Yay! Then we did the NST (non stress test) where I just sat there with the fetal heart monitor and the monitor to check for contractions on. We were going to sit there until the baby's heart rate elevated 3 times. I didn't realize this, but the heart rate elevates every time he moves around! On that Sunday we went into the hospital, I was on the fetal heart monitor, and Jed and I kept getting a little concerned that the baby's heart rate kept getting super fast, then slowing down. Little did we know, that's exactly what is supposed to happen! So, that was my appointment. Oh and they took my blood pressure. Still high, but not too high.

So, there you have it. The thing I've been complaining about the most to Jed this week is my swollen hands/toes. I shouldn't complain, because seriously, it's not that bad. I still don't like it though. I think I have officially outgrown all my flats. It is just too darn uncomfortable. So, it's either slippers or sneakers from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment