Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

Decorating... My newest talent?

Living in Wymount, it was hard to decorate. Cinderblock walls, no painting, no nails, small spaces, it's hard to decorate. But then we were blessed with our new apartment, and especially since I was able to paint, I was basically presented with a blank canvas!

My inspiration for the paint color comes from pillows my dear friend Amy gave to me! She was moving and was going to leave the pillows for her roommates, but offered them to me and they were perfect! I already had a rug and that little wall painting I had made that I hoped to use again, so since these pillows matched, it was a done deal.

Jed and I took the pillow to Home Depot and found the exact right paint color. It was a fun date ha ha. Then we painted (see the post about moving to see the process) and after moving, I had the fun time of decorating! Jed had a TON of paintings from his parents and some painted by his grandma (which are excellent), plus we have many received as gifts from our wedding. I wanted to use some of the ones we didn't get a chance to in our Wymount apartment, and so that was the beginning of my plan....

This next picture is to show you how I planned what to put on the walls. I don't know where I even got this idea, but it is brilliant. Get a ton of butcher paper and trace all your wall hangings. Cut out the shapes of your pictures/clocks/etc. and then you can tape those up on your wall so you can visualize what your pictures would look like on the walls! It's brilliant, especially when you want to put a few together on the wall. I felt happy because not only did my arms not get tired from holding heavy paintings up, but I could do it by myself. Another brilliant thing about it is that you can mark on the paper where to but the nail, and then nail right through the butcher paper! You get to put the nail exactly where it needs to go and then the butcher paper rips right off the nail. I love it! So here is what it looked like in planning:



And here is the end product:



Do you like it? I love it!

This was not the only wall I decorated. Here are some others:







As you can see, I've discovered wall vinyls to put up cute sayings on my wall... perhaps I have gone a tad overboard, but I think I have a good balance.

I also have to showcase my mother's curtain's that she made, because I think they are very very cute:



They are Roman shades and I love them.

So all my decorating is almost done! I have a few curtains to make for the two bedrooms and I have this as a project:



These shelves are in our bedroom. The backs are covered simply with cardboard, so my idea is to finish covering them with cardboard, but to cover all of the cardboard with a cute patterned wallpaper!

So, there are my decorating adventures. I hope that I can develop this into a real talent, because it's fun! I also think that this, coupled with my love and organization in planning for weddings, could lead to a nice little job or business when I'm a stay at home mom? Who wants to hire me?

5 comments:

  1. I would love to hire you! The decorating is darling. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute apartment!! It's so fun to get to do your own thing in your own space!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG HEATHER! You live in our old apartment!! That was where Morgan and I lived when we first got married before we moved to Wymount! How funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your paint color... and your pictures! How fun for you and Jed! :) (p.s. I'll hire you to come and help me)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So how about you come decorate my house? I volunteer to give you practice! Looks great.

    ReplyDelete