Pages

Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 Years Ago Today

To commemorate 9/11, Jed and I thought we'd write where we were when it happened.

I was living in Indiana, so the time difference from many of my current friends was a bit different. I had already gone to school and was in the middle of taking a state test. I was in my math class with my math teacher, Mr. R (his name is on the tip of my tongue). All of the sudden, all the TVs in the school turned on and we saw the live footage of what was happening. I certainly didn't understand what was going on. It was sad to me, but it seemed like it was in a different world.

The whole school was taken down to the basement of our school to continue watching the news. Some people in my class cried, mostly those who had family in New York. Some people's parents came to take their students home early. There was a small panic at the school because there was Fort Benjamin very near, and people figured that if they were attacking one place, they would certainly attack another.

What I definitely do remember is that in the following months, our country was brought together. There was a lot of patriotism and even as a little 11 year old, I felt a difference in the way our country acted. I wish now that people appreciated our military the way they did back then, instead of calling them murderers. I hope that this anniversary brings a little more love for America and it's values.

Now it's Jed's turn.

I was asleep (it was around 6 or 7 in the morning in California). I think my mom woke me up and told me the trade center got hit and I thought at first it was a little Cessna plane that hit it on accident. I thought it wasn't a big deal. Then I watched the news. I started watching after they both got hit and so I watched them fall down. I couldn't believe it. All I felt was disbelief.

I second what Heather said. I've been following politics since I was 8, so at the time of 9/11 I knew of all the divisions in our country. But the following year, everyone was united and forgot all the arguments. It was great. Now we're back to division in our country.

We both know this country was saved by God for us and that the Constitution was inspired by God. We hope that in the coming years, our country will stop pulling away from it and start going back to the core values the Founding Fathers put into the Constitution.

A big thanks to those who have fought in any war for our country. It is inspiring and touches our hearts to see the pure selflessness that our soldiers give.

Have a good 10 year anniversary, America.

No comments:

Post a Comment