Pages

Friday, September 9, 2011

Lea Salonga

So, this week I was fortunate enough to go with my mother and sister to see Lea Salonga perform at BYU! For those of you who don't recognize the name, she's the singing voice of Jasmine and Mulan.... and she is famous on Broadway for Miss Saigon and Les Miserables (playing Eponine and most recently Fantine).

It was great! I listened very hard as she sang beautiful songs I didn't know to see if it sounded like Jasmine or Mulan, but it really didn't. But when she broke out in the song Reflection from Mulan it was awesome. A Disney character in real life! I must say, though, my favorite was probably A Whole New World from Aladdin. When she say that, it was just so awesome. It was Jasmine! I've watched that movie from such a young age. It came out in..... let me look it up...1992. So really as long as I can remember I've watched that movie. It was also way fun because she had a man from the audience come up and sing it with her! She apparently does this whenever she sings. It was so fun! And this random guy turned out to be from the Philippines just like her and he had a really good voice. So I was impressed!

It was overall such a good night. If you have a chance, go see her! She has such a beautiful voice and it's so nice to have such a culturally enriching night.

No comments:

Post a Comment