Pages

Monday, September 12, 2011

Pregnancy Symptoms: Take 2

Well, I'm 10 weeks along! So crazy. I thought I'd record a few more symptoms that I've been having for both my journaling purposes and for those who would like a "heads up" on some symptoms you can look forward to when you get pregnant!

1) Acne. I have been blessed to have only had acne in my early teenage years, and after that I really only had a pimple or two a week. Now, it's more like a new pimple shows up every day! Awful. The funny thing is, the dry spots on my face have gotten drier. So it looks like my combination skin has gotten even more combination.

2) Dry skin. Seriously, I have much drier skin. Like I mentioned about my face, there are other places on my body (like my heels) that definitely dry faster and in a worse way than before.

3) Gagging when brushing teeth (and as of today, throwing up). Jed always peeks in when I brush my teeth because it certainly sounds like I throw up every morning and night. I think he's nervous because he has yet to witness me throw up! I know, I think he deserves to be there to hold back my hair. I don't know what it is, but I think it has something to do with the flouride in my toothpaste along with just having liquid sitting in my mouth. I sometimes have problems swallowing pills, too, because I do it by getting a mouthfull of fluid, tossing in a pill, and swallowing, and my mouth (throat?) does not like holding fluid for more than it takes to swallow. So, this is a rather unpleasant side effect. I try something different every time I brush to try to distract myself or prevent from gagging, but so far nothing has worked.

4) Food aversions and cravings. As a teenage girl, brownies were my favorite late night/movie night snack. Chocolate ice cream with brownies were even better. Now, chocolate ice cream with brownies sounds awful. Brownies, well maybe I'll have a bite. But seriously, chocolate is no longer a craving of mine! So weird! I don't even crave anything specific, generally. It's only as soon as I see a picture of it or I smell something, and then I want it. (Take for example when I passed by a hot dog stand. Hot dogs have never been my favorite. But as soon as a smelled it, I wanted it!)

5) Appetite changes. I have become a grazer. I can eat most of my peanut butter/jelly sandwich at lunch and maybe some fruit snacks or grapes. And that's it! Dinner is the same. It's really quite sad, because eating out is not quite as fun. I can't eat more than half of my meal before I feel sick from eating too much. Much healthier, right? I don't complain because I know it's much healthier for me. It does cause some complications, though. Teaching doesn't give me too many easy times to snack on food. Just the other day I pulled out some fruit snacks and one of my students was rather jealous that I got to eat and he didn't.

So far, I think that's about it! I've been getting over a cold and I think a little flu, so I've been having a very off week in general. I can't wait to see what happens next!

2 comments:

  1. When I did cadet teaching my senior year of high school, the first grade teacher I worked with was pregnant. She must have explained to the kids about being pregnant, because any time she needed to eat a snack, if the kids noticed, she would just say she needed to feed the baby, and they were totally ok with that. Maybe you can try something like that so the kids don't get jealous of your fruit snacks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. **laugh** So I was at the dentist last week and your #3 symptom came up. I'm not pregnant, but I have a really sensitive gag reflex (sounds like we have the same issues swallowing pills!) and the hygienist warned me that I'll be super sensitive while pregnant and will probably throw up every time I brush my teeth. So apparently it doesn't get better and it has nothing to do with the toothpaste you're using. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete