Pages

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Tracking the Baby Bump: Week 20

For those that didn't hear our announcement, we're having a baby boy! We're very excited. It's crazy though... knowing the gender of the baby definitely makes this all seem more real.


Baby Stats:

Length: 6 1/2 inches
Weight: 10 ounces
If HE were a fruit he would be a: small cantaloupe



So this week... things really seemed the same! We've been anticipating our ultrasound on Friday to find out the gender, so I've hardly paid attention to anything else! Symptoms have continued: nails growing fast, baby kicking, back hurting at times, cravings, migraines, etc. etc!

The ultrasound was great! We got there a little early, and somehow got in only a couple of minutes after we arrived. The ultrasound tech had lots of things to look at in the brain, then looked at things like the cervix, ovaries, and kidneys. During all of this, Jed and I were waiting and waiting for her to finally say, this is the sex of your baby! Finally, she asked one more time if we wanted to know the gender, which we did, and she showed us his little bum, legs, and as she put it, "his little boy part" so we knew it was a boy! After that it was just a little surreal looking at our little boy's arms, face, spine, legs, and even a foot. It's crazy that first of all, the ultrasound tech can find all of those things, and second of all that we were able to find out the gender of our baby! Oh and it was so cool: she can turn on this heat/motion sensor so that on the screen, wherever it is especially hot (like at the umbilical cord) or when there is movement, you can see it. So, at one point, I felt an especially big kick, and we saw half of the screen light up red because of the movement! It was really cool to see what I felt. Also, I have to say one of my favorite things to see was the heart. We saw all four chambers and could see it beating. Overall, it was really cool. We were definitely in shock for the next little while, but the excitement grew as the shock wore off.

One thing I definitely want to talk about is maternity clothes. I finally tried on every single item of clothing my sister in law gave to me, and we bought a few items at Target. I love maternity tops and dresses! They make me feel very feminine and make me feel like a cute pregnant woman. It's starting to get fun, having a definite baby bump, so having cute tops so that people can tell I have a baby bump and I'm not just fat is nice. On the other hand, I hate maternity pants to death. They don't stay up. Every time I stand up, I have to readjust my pants and tuck in my undershirt. It's really quite annoying. Also, I have several pairs of pants with the huge band of stretchy material, for when I'm much more pregnant, and those really need adjusting. I'm hoping they will improve once I get a bigger belly, but we'll just have to wait and see on that one....

Oh I should tell you about our party! I felt very stressed by the time the party started, because I ran out of time. You see, my whole plan was to color a cake blue, decorate it cute, and then we cut open the cake and everyone knows it's a boy! So I bought a white cake mix, baked it, and it turned out beautifully. It was only when it was almost all cooled off that I realized it was still white--I forgot to color it blue! So I had to make a new cake; the only cake mix we had was a yellow cake mix and so after adding blue food coloring, the cake was green. And then by the time that was cooled off, there was hardly any time to decorate, and so it was not decorated how I wanted. However, it all pulled together with help from several people, and luckily people were late just as I thought they would be. Overall, it was a great party and I think everyone enjoyed the food and the company. So, despite the stressful beginning, it was great and I was so glad to have everyone there that came!

So, there you have it. Pregnancy wise, nothing much has changed, but the exciting news of our little boy coming has been wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment