Pages

Sunday, November 7, 2010

How to stop being a worry wart.

I know. Two posts in one day. I just had to, though.

Today in church a sister shared a great scripture, Philippians 4:6: "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God." She pointed out that the Joseph Smith Translation changed careful to afflicted a.k.a. worried. So basically, in order to stop worrying, start thanking Heavenly Father for your blessings.

Now, I can be a worrier. I try not to be, but sometimes, I just get a little overwhelmed. However, when I heard her testimony about that scripture, I realized something: I can't remember feeling worried for the past couple of weeks. Why, I asked myself. Then it hit me. A few weeks ago in a Relief Society we made gratitude journals and I have been fairly diligent in writing five things I am grateful for every night. I have never, ever made that connection before, that being thankful will help you stop worrying. I always thought, you count your blessings so that you stop feeling sorry for yourself. Well here's another benefit to counting your blessings and thanking God for all He has given you.

Hope this can help you like it's helped me! Especially seeing as this is November, the month where most people remember to be thankful, I think it's a great time to strengthen your testimony about gratitude.

Happy Sunday!

1 comment:

  1. That is actually super helpful, last night for FHE we talked about how the opposite of faith is worry/ fear...and we talked about how I tend to worry all the time. Yeah....maybe it's a girl thing?

    ReplyDelete