Pages

Monday, November 8, 2010

Old Testament Class

I just wanted to share a funny thing that happened in my Old Testament class today.  My professor is Jared Ludlow, I know mom and dad know him, I don't know if anyone else does.  He has lived in Israel three times throughout his life, so he knows what's going on.  Anyway, so he was teaching about some article of clothing that priests used to wear, I don't know.  Then, the guy behind me raises his hand, and asks "Can you please write the Hebrew word for it on the board?" My thought: "Really?" So he starts writing it on the board, in Hebrew script, and can't remember the last letter, and is trying to remember.  This is when five, perhaps six people start chiming in on how to write this last letter.  In Hebrew.  I look around the room, and nobody else seems to be bothered by this.  This is when I think: "Am I in the right class? This is the class on the first half of the Old Testament, that fills a GE, right? Did I accidentally walk into a majors-only class?"  Then, this is when I have a second thought: "I have a feeling I'm not going to get a very good grade in this class..." Then, one guy says, "oh, you write in script? I prefer block myself." I just stare at him.  I thought maybe I had missed a prerequisite for the class: Must know Hebrew, fluently.
Anyway, that was my strange experience of today.

1 comment: