Pages

Monday, November 1, 2010

"It's time to bring back the true meaning of Halloween..."

Our Halloween weekend was a lovely little weekend.

Saturday, Jed and I shopped for winter clothes. I should actually say I shopped for winter clothes. Jed got a jacket. I got 5 shirts. Jed also got soda, because I felt guilty getting so many things, and him just getting a jacket.

Then, that evening, we went to my sister Brittany's Halloween party! For the majority of the month, Jed and I weren't sure if we'd need costumes because we had no idea if we had plans for Halloween, so our last minute costumes were characters from The Office. Jed was Jim, and more specifically, Jim in one of his Halloween costumes (which was simply a name tag for Dave, whoever that is). I was Angela (quite simply because she has blond hair like I do. The little thing I'm holding is a cat because as you may or may not know, Angela is a cat lady.



I would also like to post, for those of you who are not followers of my sister's blog, a picture of her costume. She was the white queen from the newest Alice in Wonderland, and her roommate was the red queen. She (my sister) made her entire costume and has been working at it for months. It turned out amazing!



Sunday, actually Halloween, we had our Primary Program in Sacrament meeting. I was so proud of my little Primary and Nursery kids! Two highlights come from the same family. First, the three-year-old, whom I will call Jojo (because that's his name), went up. His mom would whisper something like "The Holy Ghost..." and he would repeat it and then have this little giggle, and then they would say the next line and he'd giggle. He just loved the microphone. So after the 5 lines he said, he ran down off the stage and up to his dad on the front row and I saw him jump in the air with little fists up in the air as he said, "I did it!" Ha ha it was so adorable. Then Stephen, Jojo's five-year-old brother got up. He said his lines and said them in quite funny ways, so of course the congregation thought he was just so funny and cute and so we laughed at every line. Unfortunately, this did not go over well with Stephen. He said to his dad (who was helping him), "They keep laughing! Why?" and then when we laughed at that, he started to cry! We felt so bad, but the trooper still finished his talk and the congregation quieted up.

So the kids were amazing and I made cupcakes to reward them. I must mention two things: First, they had buttermilk in them and were pumpkin flavored. Amazing. Second, my little cupcake book had the greatest idea where you microwave chocolate Tootsie Rolls and roll them flat, then lemon flavored and do the same, then cut out eyes and noses and mouths and put them on cupcakes to make them look like jack-o-lanterns. Great idea! Or so I thought. Here is what it looked like:



So after I had cut out about six sets of eyes and started trying to do the circle noses, I realized this was going to take a looooong time and a heck of a lot of patience. Luckily, I still had black frosting from when I did those sunflower cupcakes (I used it for the lady bugs). So I cheated and just use that to make the jack-o-lantern face. I think they still turned out pretty cute though!



So there you have it! Our Halloween weekend was great fun, and now we can start looking forward to Thanksgiving and Christmas!

3 comments:

  1. P.S. True meaning of Halloween: FEAR.

    Quote taken from Sue Sylvester, from Glee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Heather, I love you! Someday I hope to be privileged enough to eat one of your amazing cupcakes, but until then I will be satisfied with reading about them on your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love THE OFFICE costumes. cute cupcakes, Like you I would have opted for the shorter method!

    ReplyDelete