Pages

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Nine Years



Nine years ago today my dad passed away. It was spring break and for vacation we stayed at some random hotel that was close to downtown Indianapolis so that my mom could be near my dad and us. We had just gone swimming when my mom got the call from the hospital and then we all sat on the bed and cried. I think the saddest part of it was hearing my brother Daniel cry. Poor guy was only seven.

Some of you may wonder how my dad died. In June of 2000, he was diagnosed with Leukemia. He was treated, went into remission, and then a while later it came back in his spinal fluid. For this, he had to get a bone marrow transplant. So he did, thanks to my Uncle Chris, and then he just had to wait to recover. It was a hard time for him, and in February of 2002, he was taken to the hospital because he was turning blue, which as we found out was because he had a fungal infection in his lungs. He was in the hospital all of February and March, and at the beginning of April, the doctor told us that the fungal infection moved to his brain and no one had ever lived from that. So, a few days later, he passed away. We had a funeral in Indiana and then one in Orem, UT where is buried.

It's crazy that it's been nine years since he died. I'm nervous for year twelve in 2014, because that means that I've been alive longer without my dad than with. My poor brothers have already hit that mark or are hitting it this year. It's still sad to think of this in detail, but I can't tell you what good things came from it. I gained a huge testimony on prayer, priesthood blessings, and the fact that families sealed in the temple are forever and will see each other again. It's a comforting thought, and I know it's true. We moved to Utah because of it and I made some great friends in high school that I hope to visit often, even when we're old and gray. I definitely feel like the move helped me come out of my shell and gain the friendly personality I have. I can't tell you how many papers I had to write about "a trying experience in your life" or a "time when you lost a loved one" or "a time that helped you grow." Ha ha, but seriously, I learned a lot about myself, my mother, my family, and my Heavenly Father through this experience, and while I would love to still have my dad here with my on earth, I know that it was for so many good reasons that he went back to our Father in Heaven. Those who knew my dad knew it was his time, he was such a great man, and God needed his help in Heaven. We needed to learn things from that experience. Now that I have had a loved one die, I can comfort a lot of people who lose their own loved ones, and I am grateful for that.

Well, I didn't expect to cry today, but I wanted to share that with everyone. I think it's extremely important to share my testimony that families can be together forever, because I know that is true.

Have a great day! I love you, Dad!

(Stephen Wesley Morgan, 1961-2002)

11 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post, Heather.
    Thank you for sharing something so dear to you.
    We instantly fell in love with your family when we moved to Indiana.
    You and your family were SO impressive to us. We KNEW that you loved each other, that you knew of Heavenly Father's Plan for you, and we were so blessed to have met you.
    We love you, Heather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs to you and your family sweet Heather! It's funny you mention 2014 because I am at the anniversary this year. The good ones always go first, but what a wonderful legacy he left here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, I think of your Dad every year around this time, and at Easter. I want you to know how much we loved all of you while you were here. Whenever I hear a song that he had sung, it touches my heart so strongly. Much love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Heather,
    Your tribute to your father is beautiful! I know you are a better person because of what you've learned from this. I hate to think that you had to experience this, I can't even imagine it. But I am so grateful for the love and understanding you express to all people who are going through a hard time! Love you girl!
    Beka

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this Heather!! We loved your dad!! He was such a great person and still is!! I am grateful you have the knowledge of the plan of salvation. I know you don't remember much about me or our family, but we were very close when we all lived in the Orange 4th ward!! We still think of your family often and have some favorite quotes from our kids that include your dad!! (-: Thanks for sharing!! Nancy Hermansen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, daughter. Words just aren't adequate. I thought of your dad today and marveled with my sister that it's been nine years. I was always most sad about his death on behalf of you children. I hurt for the boys and the fact you mentioned that they've already lived longer without him than with him. That's such a sad thought. But everything you said that was positive I heartily endorse. So glad you have a testimony of all of that too. You are a wonderful girl. Thank you for doing a tribute to your dad. He was an exceptional man. We were(are--will be)lucky. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Heather, Thank you for posting this. I didn't remember the date that he died, although related memories are etched in my heart. Yesterday, April 5th, I had a long commute to Seattle and home again driving to a medical appointment. I had many hours to let my mind wander, and found myself vividly recalling some very sweet and spiritual experiences related to the day of his funeral, and other moments in the years since. I was surprised yesterday as I drove along, at the suddden appearance of those memories, and was grateful for the peace I felt appreciating again the reality of Stephen's life still continuing just beyond sight. I was very touched as I read your post today to realize that yesterday's images and feelings weren't a coincidence. I miss him. I think of him often, and am so very happy for the wonderful family that he and your mom provided for the rest of us to enjoy. We love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heather, that was beautiful! That would be such a hard thing to go through, but you have such a strong testimony because of it. You are such a strong and loving person, and I look up to you in so many ways. I'm blessed for being able to know you. I love you Heather!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad you posted this. It is such a good memoir to your memories and to you dad. I remember when he baptized me. It was such a hard decision to make between him and Uncle Chris. I chose him to baptize me for some odd reason, and now I feel a special connection with him. Your family is wonderful and he is definitely your guardian angel. I love you guys lots.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks you guys! I love that this post has brought all these memories and kind words for my dad. It's great that we can all think of him and feel so happy, and for all of us (including those who have never met him), I'm sure we can't wait to see him in the next life!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Stephen. You honored him well. Thanks. I love you, too.

    ReplyDelete