Pages

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Our super exciting announcement!!!!

Jed and I are SUPER excited to announce that we're having a baby!

It's a little early to announce, I'm only seven weeks along. Previous to my doctor's appointment today, they had told me I would be eight weeks today, but the ultrasound says differently. Here are the ultrasounds... they are impossible for us to tell, but she outlined the baby in one of them so you can see it.






Back tracking: July 22-24, my family went up to Island Park/Yellowstone area in Idaho to visit my brother who's visiting there, and the whole trip I was exhausted. I wondered if I was sick, but none of us thought so. So when I got back from the trip, Jed and I talked and decided that in a few days I would take a pregnancy test. But... I couldn't wait! So I took the test Sunday the 24th and it was positive! It was such a surreal feeling to see two lines on the stick instead of one... So I was about to talk to Jed on Skype (he was in California doing window washing all this time), so I texted him a picture of the positive pregnancy test. Then we got on Skype and while we were talking he received the text. He just said "What does this mean?" Ha ha he was in shock for that day and the next, and then on Tuesday it passed and he told me he was super excited.

So, fast forward a week. One day I realize I have these signs of a miscarriage. It was hard and depressing to think we could lose this baby, but I called the doctor and he said that we could still be optimistic about it. So, I got past it and decided to just trust in the Lord. The next day, I went and got an ultrasound. Because it was so early in the pregnancy, it was unlikely that they could see the baby. They didn't, but they did see signs that a baby was still in there. So that was good! But because I was still at risk, I was to be on moderate bed rest: lay down or keep my feet up as much as possible, no exercising, no lifting heavy things, etc. etc.

The next few weeks were good. I gained a few more pregnancy signs besides fatigue, including nausea.... For a few days I actually did throw up in the morning, but mostly my morning sickness is an all day thing, but only when I'm hungry. So don't get in the way of my meals! Or else we will all suffer the consequences...

Fast forward to today! We had our scheduled doctors appointment. It was so cool. We had the ultrasound first, and the technician was so awesome. She explained what things were (becuase seriously, those ultrasounds are unreadable). And then all of the sudden she said, "And this, is your baby." Wow! Then she zoomed in and showed us that this little flashing spot of the heart beat, and then we got to hear it! 156 beats per minute, which is very healthy. It was incredible and both Jed and I said, "Wow..." because it was awesome. I even teared up a bit. It's surreal to actually hear the heart beating. Then of course I went through all the tests, basic wellness like checking my lungs and heart and thyroid, and others like urine and blood tests.

So there you have it! While I know we're not really out of the woods, and our doctor told us we still have between a 5-10% chance of miscarriage, it is very likely that all will be well since we heard the heart beat.

So, come April 5th, we should be a family of 3!

2 comments:

  1. AH! I'm so excited for you! Just so you know, I just like a few stairs away so let me know whenever you need a babysitter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, you two! We should do a cousin get-together now that Danielle is back. We may have to wait until Jared & Heather have their baby, though ... but it would be fun!

    ReplyDelete