Pages

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Fans

Today I went to my cousin Sam's swim meet.

I enjoy swim meets. Probably more than most people because I used to swim, so I get some sort of pleasure from watching/remembering when I did it, too.



At this meet, I noticed something that made it especially entertaining.

There are always noisy fans at every sporting event. There really should be. I think that's why golf tends to be boring.... it's so quiet. And there are other things. But this post isn't about golf.

So it always makes me a little amused to watch fans who are way into the game. They yell at the ref, tell the people to run faster, say how they shouldn't have done this, they should have done that. I know we all know they can't hear you, so we all have fun and continue in however we express ourselves at games.

However. There was a row of Wyoming fans a few rows ahead of me who were way into the game. One man kept standing and yelling and waving his hand. Okay. Then there was this woman. She kept pointing. Like she was telling the swimmer, "Swim that way! That way!" She kept doing it! Over and over! I was so amused. So we all know that they can't see you, so what's the point in pointing? And then, hello, they're swimming in a swimming pool in lanes. You know these things. They are these long ropes with floaties on them to keep people in a straight line. So there is absolutely no need to tell a swimmer where to swim because they have only two options: Where they just came from or the other way.

I suppose people, you can take from my post this: Be a fan. Be a loud fan. Be a proud fan that makes a fool of themselves at the game. But have some common sense. Or don't. It keeps us other fans amused. Either way, it's better than being a lame fan.

2 comments:

  1. :) sooo true...and you forgot to include that swimmers can't really hear people yelling for them anyway because there's too much water in their ears.

    ReplyDelete